Monday, May 31, 2010

Canning




For the longest time I was terrified of the idea of canning. All kinds of fears popped into my head like, "is it sterile" or "what about food poisoning." I finally learned how with my mother in-law, when I had picked tons of figs and did not want them to spoil. So I made fig preserves and have loved canning ever since.


Lately I have been trying to be creative and save money where possible, while also wanting to eat more "natural" foods. Cheap and natural food do not go together. We have learned that the term organic can pretty much double the price. So when I find deals on good food I take advantage and buy tons.

So sitting around were jars of yummy diced tomatoes and today I decided to make salsa. Out of 3 cans of tomatoes I made 5 mason jars worth of salsa. It was so yummy that I decided to share.

Ingredients:
2 large cans of diced tomatoes
1 large can pureed tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup jalapeno peppers- more or less if you like mild or hot salsa
1/2 of an onion

1/4 cup sugar (really do this to your taste)
fresh or dried cilantro to taste - about 2 tablespoons
juice of 1 lime (optional)
pinch of salt

Basically just chop the garlic, peppers, and onion in a food processor and then add it to a pot with your tomatoes. Season with sugar, lime, cilantro, and salt. All of the seasoning should be added to your taste. Cook salsa for 15-20 minutes until very hot!

Okay so now the scary part. Fill a large pot with your mason jars and lids and top with water until the jars are covered. Let the jars boil for about 10 minutes to sterilize.

After boiling take the jars out with a pair of tongs, fill with the hot salsa, and then wipe the rim of the jars clean. Make sure that you clean the rim so that they will seal properly. Next put the top on and screw down the rings (do not over tighten!).

Now is just a waiting game for the jars to cool. Do not touch the jars and be patient. The science teacher in me must explain that as the jars cool the atoms/molecules shrink and create a vacuum within the jar. This will cause the jar lids to pop and the center of the lid will be pulled down. You will know that you have a sealed and safe jar if the center of the lid has popped down.

That is it!!! Super easy and look how much money you saved!

5 jars of salsa could cost you $10 if you find them cheap
I spent a total of $3 and it is much healthier and yummier!

When you are done save your jars and buy new lids. You can begin to can anything!
These also make for great presents! Just an idea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails